Love a good cheesy cracker? Try these easy peasy Cheesy Golden Crackers! I made these trying to create a classic childhood shapes cracker, and they’re pretty darn close. Supercharged with one of our favourite superfoods du jour – turmeric.
5 reasons you’ll love these crackers
- 20 minutes. Is all you need. To blitz, mix, and bake ’em to crispy perfection.
- They’re made with super simple pantry staples, which I hope you’ll have ready to go right now.
- No crumbly bits! These little bites will hold their own, even with the sturdiest of toppings.
- If you’ve got kids, you’ll know that crackers are pretty much right up there on any small human’s top-5-foods-to-take-to-a-deserted-island list (amongst ice cream and blueberries). Finally to give them a version you’re 100% happy with from a nutrition perspective too!
- Zero packaging. If you’ve ever picked up a box of crackers from the store and gulped down your desires to approach any semblance of a zero-waste lifestyle, these are one way to eliminate a whole bunch of future plastic baggies.
These are so easy and delicious, you have to try them. One thing’s for sure though, they’ll go quick. So I highly advise doing a double batch.
Want some dip for your crackers? Try these…
If you make this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag me @begoodorganics on Instagram. I’d love to see how you get on.
I hope you enjoy them – til next time, stay happy and well.
- 1 c wholegrain flour (e.g. spelt/wheat)
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp vege stock powder (optional)
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper (optional)
- 5 tbsp coconut oil firm
- 3 tbsp chilled water
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Blitz dry ingredients in food processor until combined. Add wet ingredients and pulse until crumbly. The mixture should form a dough when pressed together. If not add water as needed.
- Split mixture in half and roll onto a floured surface until 1/4cm thick. Cut into rectangles and place on a lightly floured baking tray. Re-roll any offcuts and cut again until you've used up all the dough.
- Bake for 12 mins until golden then cool. Store in a glass sealed jar for up to 3 weeks. Enjoy on their own or with your favourite dips.
- Make it gluten free: swap the wholegrain flour for ⅓ c buckwheat flour, ⅓ c brown rice flour, and ⅓ c tapioca flour. Or 1 cup of your favourite gluten free blend.
- You can grind your own flax seeds, or replace with ground chia seeds. Alternatively add 1 tsp of guar gum (these all help the crackers to bind).
- If you have onion powder or garlic powder, try adding ½ tsp to the mix – even more delicious!