I love having a stash of these in the freezer at all times – perfect for afternoon tea or dessert, just pop out a few and pair with a peppermint tea. They’re super healthy for you with a bunch of incredible superfoods, and will settle any sweet craving you might have in an instant. You can also add a few drops of peppermint oil to make a nice after dinner mint ball.
Plant based, made with wholefoods, vegan, sugar free, gluten free, and suitable if you’re following a Paleo diet too; no one will say no to these if you bring them to the party. Soaking the nuts will remove the enzyme inhibitors and make it easier to digest all the nutrients in the nuts, but if you run out of time for this they’ll still be awesome.
Please note – if you are wanting to meet any of the specific dietary requirements below, please read my recipe notes.
- 1 c raw almonds (soaked & rinsed)
- 1/3 c raw cacao powder
- 1/3 c desiccated coconut
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder
- 1 c medjoul dates
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- Blend all ingredients (excluding dates, coconut oil) in a food processor for 1-2mins until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs.
- Add dates one by one while processor is running, then add melted coconut oil until combined.
- Scoop out tablespoons full, roll into balls and place on a plate/tray. Once all balls are done, place in the freezer for at least an hour or two to firm up (or overnight), and store in the freezer going forward too. Enjoy!
- Food processor
- Brazil nuts are also lovely in the place of almonds, as are cashews. You could also use watermelon or sunflower seeds for a nut free option.
- You can also add in 1 Tbsp chocolate brown rice/pea protein, or 2 tsp mesquite,or 1 tsp maca,or 1 Tbsp chia seeds for an extra nutrient boost.
- Other roll ins I’ve tried and loved are raw cacao nibs, more cacao powder, acai powder, maqui powder, additional desiccated coconut, or sesame seeds
- If you prefer your sweet treats a bit sweeter, you can also add up to 1 tbsp of liquid sweetener, like yacon/coconut/agave or maple syrup.