- Thought to be the highest antioxidant fruit on the planet, our Maqui is a deep purple berry wild harvested in the pristine conditions of Southern Chile. The harsh climate of the region is credited with increasing the anthocyanin content (which creates the red colour, and high antioxidant level) of fruits and berries grown in that area, and this is seen in Maqui's ORAC score of 319,265 uM trolox/100g*. This means they contain 75% more antioxidants than Acai berries, and an incredible 35 times the antioxidants found in blueberries. Maqui berries when picked look very similar to blueberries (and Acai berries for that matter), and have traditionally been eaten fresh or used for juice, jams or wine-making.
The Mapuche Indians have used Maqui Berry leaves, stems, fruits and wine medicinally for thousands of years. According to the Conquistadors, the Mapuche warriors ate very little solid food but drank a fermented beverage made from Maqui Berries several times a day, which may have contributed to the extraordinary strength and stamina that the warriors exhibited. Maqui Berries have also traditionally been used by the Mapuche Indians for sore throat, diarrhea, ulcers, haemorrhoids, birth-delivery, fever, tumors and other ailments.
*ORAC scores (Oxygen radical absorbance capacity) are a way to measure the antioxidant content of a food or plant.
- Early in the day, Maqui is a great addition to your Buckinis or smoothies: add one teaspoon of Maqui Powder to meet your daily requirement. Or make a Maqui bowl, blending a tablespoon of Maqui powder with frozen berries, frozen banana, and coconut water. If you need an antioxidising hit in the evening, Maqui's sweet, tart flavour goes great with many desserts.
Unlike many other powders, you'll never get that gritty, grainy quality with Maqui. It dissolves beautifully, emanating a gorgeous purple sweetness.
- Raw Freeze Dried Maqui*
*Certified Organic Ingredient
- "I've been using this as an alternative to Acai. It's so delicious in smoothies, adds a beautiful berry flavour similar to blueberry. And it has almost twice the antioxidants of Acai! Brilliant."
- Lucy Jensen (Christchurch, New Zealand)
"Best anti-aging food. This is literally the best anti-aging food on the planet, it's so awesome we can access it! Have been having a teaspoon each day. I definitely feel like I have more energy, and it tastes awesome."
- Holly Smith (Victoria, Australia)
- Cacao Coconut Superfood Balls
Lifefoods is 100% New Zealand owned and operated from beautiful Christchurch in the South Island. They are passionate about healthy food, and truly believe that health is directly related to what people eat. Lifefoods believe that in order to have optimum health, a diet that has an abundance of raw super foods is essential, as it's a sure fire way to boost your immune system and to give you an abundance of energy. It's amazing how much difference eating 'real food' makes to a persons general well being. Lifefood's mission is to create a community of like minded people. At Be Good Organics, we're proud to be part of that community.