The long Easter weekend is upon us, so you’ll no doubt be thinking about baskets of chocolate eggs and hot cross buns (as well as taking a restful and well deserved break). But before you reach for that familiar Cadbury chocolate egg, read on dear friend.
I wanted to share with you today my all time favourite homemade chocolate recipe. Lots of raw chocolate recipes are made purely with coconut oil, but you really must try it with cacao butter instead – the result is so much creamier and twice as delicious. Makes sense that nature would pair cacao beans with cacao butter to make the perfect chocolate right?
Black Forest chocolate has always been one of my favourite chocolate bar flavours, as well as anything with nuts. The beauty about this recipe is that not only is it super simple, you can also add any toppings that you like (or have lingering in your cupboard). My favourite combos include brazil nuts, almonds, coconut and goji berries, but really the world is your plant-powered oyster here.
Before I forget, this delicious creation is raw, vegan, dairy free, refined-sugar free, and without any forest and animal habitat-destroying palm oil. Unfortunately all those elements find their way into normal store bought chocolate (as tasty as it may be)! Instead these bars of joy are made with antioxidant-rich raw cacao, heart-healthy coconut oil and cacao butter, low-GI unrefined sweetener, with a dash of carob and cinnamon for flavour. This is the perfect batch recipe to make up and store in the fridge for the coming weeks. Enjoy it, and have a beautiful weekend!
Please note – if you are wanting to meet any of the specific dietary requirements below, please read my recipe notes.
- 3/4 c melted cacao butter 135ml
- 1/4 c melted coconut oil 45ml
- 3/4 c raw cacao powder
- 1/3 c coconut nectar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch organic sea salt
- 2 Tbsp carob powder OR 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1-2 drops lime juice
- 1 tsp mesquite powder
- Raw or roasted almonds
- Brazil nuts
- Coconut chips
- Pumpkin seeds
- Sunflower seeds
- Goji berries
- Gently melt cacao butter and coconut oil over a low heat. Add sweetener and stir until dissolved, then add all remaining base ingredients and stir until mixed (or blend in the Thermomix on speed 5 for a few seconds).
- Pour into a baking tray, sprinkle with your choice of toppings pressing down until covered, then place in the freezer for at least an hour to set. You can also pour them into ice cube trays to get cute little mini bars if you like (or egg-shaped chocolate moulds if you're super fancy).
- Slice into squares and keep in the fridge as this choc can melt a bit if taken out. Enjoy with a nice cup of your favourite herbal tea!