If you’re a kiwi like me, you’ve no doubt just enjoyed a stellar long weekend!
I landed back in Auckland on Saturday eve, after a full week away in Christchurch and Tauranga taking the last of my natural health workshops. It was my final trip after 4 months of travel, and what a beaut to finish with.
I had the absolute pleasure of meeting so many of you, as well as touching base with old friends and familiar faces. I will miss the touring and travelling and meeting you all, but also… am looking forward to spending a bit of quiet time back at home, in my clinic, on the blog, and with my family!
So for the short week ahead, a super short and simple recipe – this gloriously divine Creamy Mushroom Penne pasta. Perfect for the cooler autumnal nights, mighty quick (under 15 mins… yes, that’s how we roll), and made with some fabulous new pasta concocted of legumes. This makes it higher in protein than your regular Italian bowl (this particular pulse pasta packs a 21% protein punch). It also makes it more balanced in carbohydrates, yet just as nostalgic (and tasty) as the real thing.
I hope you enjoy it!
Bookmark this creamy mushroom penne idea for one of your Friday nights… or maybe even tonight?
Love to hear what you think.
Pease note – if you are wanting to meet any of the specific dietary requirements below, please read my recipe notes.
- 250 g penne pasta wholegrain or made form legumes
- 4 c portobello and swiss mushroom sliced
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 large onion finely diced
- 2 spring onion
- 1/4 tsp liquid smoke
- 2 c pasta cooking water
- 1/2 c cashews soaked overnight
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp sea salt
- cracked pepper to taste or 1 drop black pepper or 1 drop rosemary thyme oil
- 4 handfulls rocket
- cashew parmesan
- Place pasta in a saucepan and fill with water until fully submerged. Cook over medium heat until the pasta is al dente (appx 7min). Take off the heat and drain out water (put aside to be used in the sauce later). Rinse thoroughly with cold water.
- Add coconut oil to a non stick pan over medium heat. Fry off onions until translucent before putting in the garlic. Once the garlic has slightly browned, pop in the mushrooms and spring onion. Cook for a further 2-3 minutes
- While the mushrooms are cooking add the sauce ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Add into the mushrooms and cook for 2 mins
- Fold the pasta gently into the sauce and mushrooms to combine.
- Serve with rocket and cashew parmesan
- As per the cooking instructions for the Pulse pasta, to stop it from going “gluggy” make sure to be gentle. Wash the pasta under cold water after cooking
- You can replace the rocket with spinach