This is my favourite go-to green smoothie recipe. I’ve fiddled with this concoction quite a bit (with a few fails at times), but this is my ultimate combo of combos. It’s extremely flexible, as long as you have a frozen banana, some fresh greens, and something creamy for your liquid (plant-based milk, nut butter, or avocado), you’re good to go. Although all those superfood extras do make it even more amazing for your body…
Please note – if you are wanting to meet any of the specific dietary requirements below, please read my recipe notes.
- 1/2 large frozen banana
- 1/2 c frozen mango
- 1-2 handfuls spinach
- 1 tbsp spirulina
- 1 tbsp vanilla pea protein
- 1 c almond milk
- 1-2 c ice
- Place soft ingredients in blender first, hard ingredients (eg ice) last.
- Blend and serve!
- You can also just use a whole frozen banana if that’s what you have handy, or any combo of fruits – I’ve tried and loved 1/2 large frozen banana + 2 feijoas/1 kiwi/1/2c berries or pineapple.
- Likewise, you can also replace the spinach with any greens you have handy – kale and silverbeet both work here.
- Use your favourite superfood and protein supplement here as well.
- You can use any plant-milk you have in the fridge, or you can also use water/coconut water + 1/4 avocado/1 Tbsp raw nuts/nut butter/coconut
- Some optional add-ins I love are: a medjool date, 2 tsp chia seeds/flaxseed/1 tsp maca
- For extra flavour, add 1/4 lemon OR 1/2 lime (flesh & rind), a sliver of ginger and a small handful parsley/coriander/mint