- Loving Earth certified organic Yacon Syrup hails from Peru. A richly treacle-like low GI sweetener, Yacon acts as a pre-biotic thereby helping the intestines to function efficiently and eliminate toxins and waste products from the body. It strengthens and activates the good bacteria in our stomach like L acidophilus and B bifidum, which in turn helps enhance our immune system and suppress pathogens such as Candida albicans (thrush).
Yacon works as a prebiotic due to it being comprised of long-chain complex sugars, which are not absorbed and digested in the same way as short-chain simple sugars. These long-chain sugars travel to the intestinal tract and provide food for the pro-biotic bacteria there, which work as part of our healthy digestive system. We all need probiotics to digest and assimilate food and thus gain nutrition. Prebiotics such as Yacon Syrup provide an optimal environment for probiotics to grow. Many people take anti-biotics (arguably too) frequently these days, meaning that our natural probiotics are constantly being run down. If you have good sources of prebiotic material in your diet, then you're going to be creating the optimal environment for the probiotic bacteria to repopulate and thrive. This is why Yacon Syrup is considered by many to be one of the healthiest sweeteners in the world.
The whole Yacon root is a distant relative of the sunflower. Its delicious edible tubers, which are low in calories, have a mild sweet flavour and an unusual moist, crunchy texture slightly reminiscent of freshly picked apple, pineapple and watermelon.
Yacon Syrup is negligible GI so great for diabetes; very low in fructose; natural and minimally processed; is also a prebiotic (good for the gut and immune system) and contains soluble fibre; lower in calories
- Yacon is actually a health food - something you would take daily in small quantities as a supplement. The fact that it doubles as a sweetener is just an added bonus!
Use it whenever you would normally use a sweetener - in hot drinks, plant-based nut milks, smoothies, raw desserts, baking, sauces, desserts, and even savoury dishes.
- Yacon Syrup*
*Certified Organic Ingredient
- "My new favourite healthy sweetener. I've completed switched off sugar, and into a mixture of yacon syrup, coconut nectar and agave. So much healthier! And all low GI."
- Cecilia Maxwell (Queenstown, New Zealand)
"I've been using this in all my baking and desserts. Not only does it sweeten, but it also adds a delicious complex caramel flavour, which everyone in our house is loving!"
- Cara Rogers (Adelaide, Australia)
Coconut Cashew Chia Cream
Cashew Macadamia Cream
Choc Orange Jaffa Smoothie
Nurturing Nut Milk
Rich Chocolate Smoothie with Sneaky Greens
Raw Chocolate Peppermint Slice
Raw Black Forest Superfood Chocolate
Raw Summer Superfood Cake
Cacao Coconut Superfood Balls
Eastern Dragon Salad
We love Loving Earth! Both their products and the company behind them. Loving Earth are a Melbourne based company dedicated to sourcing and manufacturing the highest quality organic, fairly traded and wild crafted foods available. They work with small producer communities around the world to provide healthy, sustainable and fair ingredients, which they use to handcraft a unique range of raw chocolate bars and superfood snacks.
- Loving Earth endeavours to make their products in a way that honours both the indigenous people that have cultivated the raw materials for thousands of years, and the earth and ecosystems in which they are grown. Their long term vision is to be able to take the manufacturing of the products they develop back to those same indigenous communities.